A healthy harbour is important for fish, mammal and plant life and small changes in the marine environment can have an impact on their wellbeing.
We want to protect the long-term health of habitats, including seagrasses in the Gladstone Harbour because they sustain our marine megafauna, such as turtles and dugongs.
As part of the project, GPC will develop and implement an offsets package that includes:
- a seagrass conservation plan, protecting seagrass beds at Pelican Banks, Wiggins/Mud Island and east of Quion Island
- a strategic vessel management plan to reduce boat speeds in the Western Basin
- funding for threatened and migratory species protection
- contributions to species protection programs
- contributions to habitat enhancement or restoration
- habitat enhancement and protection programs
Water quality monitoring
Dredge Technical Reference Panel